Neway will be your partner in this transition and can provide many different options for fertility preservation so that you have options for your future!
If you are currently single and/or partnered but not wishing to conceive prior to transitioning (and prior to beginning any type of hormonal treatment), but wanting to preserve your fertility possibilities, there is an option for you!
- Sperm Freezing: You can freeze your sperm at Neway and we will store it here for you until you ready to use it.
- After Sperm Freezing, you can use the sperm for intrauterine insemination (IUI) with a female partner or In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) with a female partner. With a male partner you could use your sperm, with an egg donor and a gestational surrogate to complete your family.
If you are currently partnered with a woman and wishing to conceive prior to transitioning (and prior to beginning any type of hormonal treatment), there are options for you!
- Timed Intercourse. We will monitor you throughout your menstrual cycle to determine the best timing for you to have intercourse.
- An intrauterine insemination (IUI) where your sperm is placed directly inside your female partner’s uterus by the physician
- In vitro fertilization (where your female partner’s eggs are retrieved and fertilized by your sperm). Then the fertilized eggs are cultured in our world-renowned lab to an embryo before they are placed in your female partner’s uterus to grow into a beautiful baby!
If you are currently partnered with a man and wishing to conceive prior to transitioning (and prior to beginning any type of hormonal treatment), there are options for you!
This journey begins with the selection of an egg donor and a gestational surrogate to carry the baby.
Choosing your Egg Donor
Neway will be your partner in this process, helping to guide you every step of the way. In general, you want your egg donor to be a healthy individual, and relatively young (age 21-32). Regardless of the donor you choose, whether it be a family friend, relative, or an anonymous source, the individual will be screened extensively to rule out possible complications to your fertility journey. This screening includes infectious disease testing according to FDA guidelines, a questionnaire on family genetic history, fertility and past gynecologic history, and a fertility workup to evaluate potential for egg donation.
Egg Donor Options:
- A family friend or relative
- Frozen Eggs selected from Neway’s Egg Bank
- Individual selected from Neway’s database of eligible donors (fresh eggs)
- Frozen eggs selected from outside egg bank that are transferred to Neway
Choosing an egg donor is a very important first step in this journey and we will be here for you every step of the way!
Choosing your Gestational Surrogate
Your choice of a gestational surrogate may be a family friend, relative, or someone selected through an agency. Regardless of the source, as with the egg donor, this person will be screened extensively to rule out possible complications to your fertility journey. This screening includes infectious disease testing according to FDA guidelines, a questionnaire on past gynecologic history, and a fertility workup to evaluate potential for surrogacy.
There are many different options that we can provide in this step as well! One of you could be the sole provider of the sperm, or both of you, or you could choose a separate sperm source, such as sperm from a friend, relative, or from a sperm bank. Regardless of which sperm source you choose, we will also need to screen this person for infectious diseases and genetic carrier testing (according to FDA guidelines.
A semen analysis will also need to be completed to evaluate your fertility potential.
If you have already transitioned with hormonal treatment and wish to use your own sperm, Neway can also help with this. Under close supervision by our physicians it is possible to discontinue hormonal treatment and in some cases have sperm production resume. If after sperm is procured, you wish to go back to hormonal treatment, this is also an option that we can help with.